OPSI for simple software deployment?

Antworten
dafr

OPSI for simple software deployment?

Beitrag von dafr »

Hi all,

I am looking for something that can fits these requirements:
- single server, hosted on the internet (server inside the LAN is not an option)
- deployment of MSI packages (or Nullsoft installers)
- support for patches and hotfixes
- Never pushed, always requested by the client (even hotfixes should give notification first)
- any services at client side must not be intrusive, small footprint and must not interfere with local corporate IT tools
- client PCs are inside corporate networks, behind proxy and firewall
- only end user has administrative privileges
- asset management of anything other than our own deployed application is not allowed

Basically, I am looking for something like Java Webstart but this is not enough as our application also contains DLLs, drivers, various files and needs to set registry keys. I have looked at tools like OSGi, WPKG, OCSi, Desktop Central, etc but did not find anything that fits. These tools mainly target local corporate IT.

Can you tell me, looking at our requirements, if OPSI is a valid solution for us?
If so, how would you propose to set this up?
If not, can you point me to some other related tool (I already investigated all projects on the 'related projects' page)?

PS: OPSI is wonderful tool and we will certainly keep this in mind for other projects.

Thanks,
Daniel
d.oertel
uib-Team

Re: OPSI for simple software deployment?

Beitrag von d.oertel »

dafr hat geschrieben:Hi all,

I am looking for something that can fits these requirements:
- single server, hosted on the internet (server inside the LAN is not an option)
yes
- deployment of MSI packages (or Nullsoft installers)
yes
- support for patches and hotfixes
yes
- Never pushed, always requested by the client (even hotfixes should give notification first)
yes
- any services at client side must not be intrusive, small footprint and must not interfere with local corporate IT tools
the opsi-client-agent can be configured in a wide range, but at least you have to testit do figure out if it fit to your needs
- client PCs are inside corporate networks, behind proxy and firewall
you have to open port 4447/TCP and in this case I would use the webdav option to connect the depot
- only end user has administrative privileges
Who is the end user in this case ?
- asset management of anything other than our own deployed application is not allowed
who deny things to whom ; opsi has a asset management but you you are not forced to use it ...., who decides wich software has to be installed: the user at the client or any central administrator ?
Basically, I am looking for something like Java Webstart but this is not enough as our application also contains DLLs, drivers, various files and needs to set registry keys. I have looked at tools like OSGi, WPKG, OCSi, Desktop Central, etc but did not find anything that fits. These tools mainly target local corporate IT.
This sounds like you want user driven installation - yes that is also possible

Can you tell me, looking at our requirements, if OPSI is a valid solution for us?
yes - For security reasons you should by a SSL certificate at uib,
If so, how would you propose to set this up?
Try it : http://www.opsi.org/en/download
If not, can you point me to some other related tool (I already investigated all projects on the 'related projects' page)?

PS: OPSI is wonderful tool and we will certainly keep this in mind for other projects.

Thanks,
Daniel
Does this help you ?

regards
d.oertel
opsi support - uib gmbh

For productive opsi installations we recommend support contracts.
http://www.uib.de
http://www.opsi.org
dafr

Beitrag von dafr »

Thanks for your reply!

Some info on our application:
Our application configures, tests and calibrates our specific hardware components on workstations all over the world. These workstations are located in the company LAN behind firewall and proxy of our customers.
We have one central world-wide server (JBoss). All our clients (>25000) communicate with this server through message queues (REST) over HTTPS. The client is a Java application that can be started manually by the end user and/or automatically at preconfigured times by a small scheduler. The Java app has a lot of extra files. Most of them are XML. There is also a big set of DLLs for controlling hardware components. The app needs to be able to write several files in its installation folder. At installation time, there are also several windows registry keys that need to be set. Our application is a remote asset management but very very specific for our hardware.

Replies to your questions and remarks:
- Can we do everything with WebDAV over HTTP(S) or do we still need to open port 4447 (which is not an option)?
- It doesn't really matter who the end user is as our application is doing its job in the background most of the time. The administrator of the client workstation is rarely the actual user, but local IT administrators or big system integrators.
- We have no control over the workstation. If the customer wants the monitor and guarantee the quality of our hardware, they have to install our software. This is typically done by a local IT administrator or technician. The actual user of the workstation will never install anything.
d.oertel
uib-Team

Beitrag von d.oertel »

Hi,

if port 4447 is not a option, we have to say: so sorry.
Port 4447 is the port which is used by the client to communicate with the server. All control information are using this port.
Without https port 4447 - no opsi.

Come back if you see a possibility to use this port.

regards

d.oertel
opsi support - uib gmbh

For productive opsi installations we recommend support contracts.
http://www.uib.de
http://www.opsi.org
dafr

Beitrag von dafr »

Ok, that is a clear answer. We'll keep it in mind for other projects.
Thank you so much for your help,
Daniel
Antworten