Gui-less server

Antworten
Koenraad

Gui-less server

Beitrag von Koenraad »

Hi,

I downloaded the virtual machine and played with it. Now I want to install a "real" opsi-server. I planned to install a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server, but that has no gui. In the installation guide (Getting Started) chapter 2.2.5 tells to check the java-version to use opsi-configed on the server. Is opsi-configed needed on the server ? AFAIK the web-interface can manage the opsi system. Or am I missing something ?

TIA
Koenraad Lelong.
pitweb
Re: Gui-less server

Beitrag von pitweb »

Hi.

You can manage the interface via Webinterface or you can copy the configed from the server to your local workstation and run it from there.
If you do it that way you simply have to enter the remote host with its IP Address or DNS name.

To run the configed over the webinterface I think you have to leave the configed on the server installed.

But there is no need that you have to have a Linux XWindow System installed nor running.
Liebe Grüsse
Peter
Steria Schweiz AG
c.kampka
Ex-uib-Team

Beitrag von c.kampka »

Hi Koenraad,

if you are running a headless opsi server, you may install the opsi-configed application on your server to provide a web interface, but you can also safely ignore it if you only want to use the standalone client application.
Either way you do not need to install Java on a headless server to run any opsi programs, the web interface runs as a Java applet in the clients browser.

Best regards,
Christian Kampka
opsi support - uib gmbh
For productive opsi installations we recommend support contracts.
http://uib.de
http://opsi.org
Koenraad

Beitrag von Koenraad »

Hi,

I went ahead and installed everything on Ubuntu 10.4 LTS server.
It seems there are some configurations missing in the text of "Getting Started". For the rest all seems fine for now.

I will start a new thread if I don't find a solution in the forum archives.

Thanks,

Koenraad Lelong.
Antworten