updates of the created packages

Antworten
Opsi_Novice.fr

updates of the created packages

Beitrag von Opsi_Novice.fr »

Hello, I'm facing a challenge and could use some guidance.

I've successfully deployed software using OPSI and uninstalled it as well. Now, what I'm aiming to achieve but struggling with is updating a package with the latest version of the software. Is this possible for any regularly updated software?

I've noticed that in OPSI PackageBuilder during package creation, there's a 'Update' line to input a script. Should we go through this route to add the new updated setup? I haven't fully understood the steps.

On the OPSI server, by using the command 'opsi-package-updater list --updatable-products', we can list packages that can be updated. How can newly created packages appear in this list when an updated version becomes available? For instance, I've created a Firefox package with the latest version, and later during the next update, I'd like Firefox to update in the packages list.
SisterOfMercy

Re: updates of the created packages

Beitrag von SisterOfMercy »

Opsi_Novice.fr hat geschrieben: 21 Aug 2023, 16:09 I've successfully deployed software using OPSI and uninstalled it as well. Now, what I'm aiming to achieve but struggling with is updating a package with the latest version of the software. Is this possible for any regularly updated software?
Yes, but not in the way you are thinking.

The regular way to update a product is to reinstall the product. So you have to append/insert a delsub.opsiinc file that is both used from the uninstall and setup script. Have you created some templates with the setup detector? They should have this structure, I think.

Personally I just rename the downloaded files, instead of "YACReader-v9.13.1.2307166-winx64-7z-qt6.exe", I use "YACReader-winx64.exe" in the package. Then it's just the issue of copying the new file to the location on the workbench, run opsi-makepackage (use the new version number, in this case it would be 9.13.1, package version 1), install the package with opsi-package-manager, and then use configed to install the package. (selection -> installation not up to date for product)

The update script is something that is ran after the setup script, if successful. You can also run this seperately. Let's say you have some settings that have changed, and you set these with the update script. Then you just run the update script instead of reinstalling the entire program.
Also an option is this for usage with msi patch files (.msp files). This is handy for when it's a really big program that takes a long while to reinstall, and only has a small patch that needs to be rolled out. Or when you have some silly program that uses its own on-premise server for updates. Then you install the base version with the setup script, and the update script could be used to force the client to search for updates at the on-premise server.
Bitte schreiben Sie Deutsch, when I'm responding in the German-speaking part of the forum!
Opsi_Novice.fr

Re: updates of the created packages

Beitrag von Opsi_Novice.fr »

Thank you for your quick and helpful responses!

I appreciate your support in the forum.

Just to let you know, I'm still learning about computers and my English isn't very strong.
I'm French, and I use translation tools like ChatGPT to help me communicate.

Your assistance means a lot to me.
Antworten