Oracle Linux support

Antworten
jfmartinez

Oracle Linux support

Beitrag von jfmartinez »

Hello everybody,

We are evaluating OPSI for use in our organization, as it seems quite a useful tool for our package deployment needs, well built and documented (great work!). According to our infrastructure team, since the changes in Centos to the rolling release model, the only operating system they can support free of charge is Oracle Linux, which is compatible with Red Hat. The other compatible linux operating systems (Alma, Rocky) are not being evaluated at the moment.

¿Is there any chance that Oracle Linux could be supported by OPSI, like Alma and Rocky are, as a Centos replacement?
m.radtke
uib-Team

Re: Oracle Linux support

Beitrag von m.radtke »

Hi

we already had some discussions about an support for Oracle Linux when CentOS changed their release model.
As you can see we decided to not support it, as Alma and Rocky are supported.

However, Alma, Rocky and Redhat are just "empty" products like the windows ones. Which means you need to fill the install media into the product. As Oracle Linux is very similar to Redhat I think that when you install redhat9 as oraclelinux9 and put the ISO content into the isocontent directory of the product within the depot it should work. If oracle Linux doesn't need any form of registration, like redhat9 then you can also install alma or rocky as oraclelinux

Code: Alles auswählen

opsi-package-manager -i PRODUCT.opsi --new-product-id oraclelinux
Please keep in mind that such renamed product do not get updated by the opsi-package-updater automatically.

As far as I remember there has been some change in the opsi-linux-client-agent to also install on oracle Linux and not abort.

Give it a try :)

Regards
Mathias
Kein Support per DM!

Beitrag von jfmartinez »

Thank you for your answer, Mathias.

In fact, I was more interested in using Oracle Linux just to install the OPSI server on it (all of the machines we need to manage with this system are Windows, so no need for it as a product at the moment). It could probably be done by using the manual procedure for CentOS or RedHat as it appears on the documentation, but it would be great if it could also be supported by other tools, like opsi QuickInstall. I have also found some old posts about people running the server on Oracle Linux that were having trouble with certain tools (like opsi-set-rights).

Anyway, I will give it a try and post here the results.

Regards,
Jesus
m.radtke
uib-Team

Beitrag von m.radtke »

Sorry for the late answer.

So I talked to my dev colleagues today. There should be no problem installing opsi on Oracle Linux as this is very similar to RHEL.
However an official support is not given, but it should work.

There were some issues back then because some linking work was not done in the opsiconfd package as oracle linux was not in the list of distributions for this package.

Regards
Mathias
Kein Support per DM!

Beitrag von jfmartinez »

Hi,

I have tried the manual installation following the Getting Started manual. It has worked fine until the operation of setting rigths, on "4.2.3. Backend Configuration".
When opsi-set-rights is executed on Oracle Linux, it fails:

[3] [2023-02-07 13:42:43.422] [               ] "getpwnam(): name not found: 'www-data'"   (opsisetup.py:1051)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "opsiutils/opsisetup.py", line 1047, in main
  File "opsiutils/opsisetup.py", line 1002, in opsisetup_main
  File "OPSI/Util/Task/Rights.py", line 272, in setRights
  File "OPSI/Util/Task/Rights.py", line 242, in set_rights
  File "OPSI/Util/Task/Rights.py", line 89, in apply
  File "OPSI/Util/Task/Rights.py", line 128, in chown
  File "OPSI/Util/Task/Rights.py", line 81, in chown
  File "OPSI/Util/Task/Rights.py", line 63, in uid
  File "OPSI/Util/Task/Rights.py", line 48, in username_to_uid
KeyError: "getpwnam(): name not found: 'www-data'"

ERROR: "getpwnam(): name not found: 'www-data'"
I have checked the code and found that, on Rights.py from python-opsi repository, getWebserverUsernameAndGroupname() returns "www-data" as the username and groupname for the webserver, which is wrong if using a RedHat-like Linux like Oracle Linux:

def getWebserverUsernameAndGroupname():
	"""
	Returns the name of the user and group belonging to the webserver in the default configuration.
	:raises RuntimeError: If running on an Unsupported distribution.
	"""
	if isOpenSUSE() or isSLES():
		return "wwwrun", "www"
	if isCentOS() or isRHEL():
		return "apache", "apache"
	return "www-data", "www-data"

If the distribution name is modified in /etc/os-release to make it look like RedHat, then the script executes correctly and the rest of the setup steps can be completed.

As this is the only failing script in all the setup steps, maybe it could be fixed so that, in case of an unsupported linux, it makes a guess for the username and groupname depending on what the operating system is like, as a last resort.
j.schneider
uib-Team

Beitrag von j.schneider »

No problem, we will fix that in one of the next releases.
Antworten