editing product description and advice from opsi-configed

Antworten
SisterOfMercy

editing product description and advice from opsi-configed

Beitrag von SisterOfMercy »

If I choose "properties of depots" I can change default product properties, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to edit the product description and advice from the same place?
Perhaps even the name, but not the product-id of course.
Bitte schreiben Sie Deutsch, when I'm responding in the German-speaking part of the forum!
n.wenselowski
Ex-uib-Team

Re: editing product description and advice from opsi-configed

Beitrag von n.wenselowski »

Hi,

why would you want do this?

I think it is rather problematic in environments where packaging and managing are strictly divided tasks. This would cause an overlap in the best and a lot of useless information in the worst cenario (i.e. some unhappy admin that got fired :o ).

Kind regards

Niko

Code: Alles auswählen

import OPSI
SisterOfMercy

n.wenselowski hat geschrieben:why would you want do this?
To make it analog of product properties. Product properties are set by default in the package, but are then overridden by configed. It would seem logical if it would apply the same to the product description and advice. One would set it by default in the package, and perhaps override it in configed. That's why I thought it might be an idea.
n.wenselowski hat geschrieben:I think it is rather problematic in environments where packaging and managing are strictly divided tasks. This would cause an overlap in the best and a lot of useless information in the worst scenario (i.e. some unhappy admin that got fired :o ).
Huh? Where in the world would those be seperate tasks? Oh, you mean somebody with the role to deploy packages but not with enough rights to change them? Well, if one can change product properties you could also do enough damage already.
Bitte schreiben Sie Deutsch, when I'm responding in the German-speaking part of the forum!
r.roeder
uib-Team

Beitrag von r.roeder »

Hi,

in fact, I am thinking about this for a long while.

At any rate, it would be nice if ond could edit all product attributes via the gui. But the problem is - aside from the time needed to implement the feature :( - that the difference between the description attribute etc and the product properties which you mentioned matters in this case.

The product properties are constructed and by default used in such a way that the package property values are not identical with the values set for the same product in some depot. Re-installing a package does therefore not change the property values (if not explicitly requested).

On the contrary, the product description etc is always the same as in the package. Which implies that one expects that re-installing the package does not change the description attribute. But this would be the case if you edited the value in the database via any tool, e.g. an extended configed.

I think in theory the solution would be that one could synchronize a changed data base entry to the control file of the product. But this is no pattern which we followed until now. I hope the point will be a little more clear by this argument.

Regards
Rupert
opsi support - uib gmbh
For productive opsi installations we recommend maintainance + support contracts which are the base of opsi development.

Wondering who's using opsi? Have a look at the opsi map: http://opsi.org/opsi-map/.
SisterOfMercy

r.roeder hat geschrieben:The product properties are constructed and by default used in such a way that the package property values are not identical with the values set for the same product in some depot. Re-installing a package does therefore not change the property values (if not explicitly requested).

On the contrary, the product description etc is always the same as in the package. Which implies that one expects that re-installing the package does not change the description attribute. But this would be the case if you edited the value in the database via any tool, e.g. an extended configed.
Ok, fair enough.

I just keep dumping my thoughts here. A bit because of this topic, which I was too late to respond in:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8824

OPSI has a few quirks, and I have no problem editing config files and working on the command line, but this might keep others away. And OPSI is highly dependent on quality winst-scripts. On the other hand, sccm is a piece of crap that may or may not work. That involves magic, human sacrifice and perhaps it works then.
n.wenselowski
Ex-uib-Team

Beitrag von n.wenselowski »

Hi SisterOfMercy,
SisterOfMercy hat geschrieben:I just keep dumping my thoughts here. A bit because of this topic, which I was too late to respond in:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8824

OPSI has a few quirks, and I have no problem editing config files and working on the command line, but this might keep others away. And OPSI is highly dependent on quality winst-scripts. On the other hand, sccm is a piece of crap that may or may not work. That involves magic, human sacrifice and perhaps it works then.
We are always interested in ideas - even though not all end up being implemented!

Yes, opsi sure has some quirks you need to understand when working with it.
While we aim at making opsi easy to use and accessible we do not want to limit it as this is one of the things that make opsi really unique.
Other solutions may be easier to use but they imply certain limitations in what you can do in order to achieve this.

Is writing quality winst-scripts too hard?
There is an entry barrier you need to grasp first when creating a package but we are eager to hear if we could improve things!

Kind regards

Niko

Code: Alles auswählen

import OPSI
Antworten