Opsi Questions

Antworten
djm79

Opsi Questions

Beitrag von djm79 »

I'm new to Opsi and I'm testing it out as a replacement to Ghost. From the documentation it looks like you can setup multiply Depot servers and then tie these to the computer accounts. There also seems to be a dynamic depot selection module that is a paid product. Will the multi depot server configuration work without paying for the module or is that the only way it functions? My second question is how is the replication from the config server to the depot servers handled? Is it set on a configurable schedule? I ask because our branch locations run on a T1 and if the replication fires off during business hours it could bring the branch location to it knees. So far this is a great solution just trying to work out the basics while I work through the documentation.

My setup would be something like this: 1 server

Main config server at our main campus

Depot servers at our branch locations: 26 branches

Each branch depot would serve product installs and PXE booting and unattended windows installs while the Config server handled all the commands.
tobias
Re: Opsi Questions

Beitrag von tobias »

djm79 hat geschrieben:I'm new to Opsi and I'm testing it out as a replacement to Ghost. From the documentation it looks like you can setup multiply Depot servers and then tie these to the computer accounts. There also seems to be a dynamic depot selection module that is a paid product. Will the multi depot server configuration work without paying for the module or is that the only way it functions?
The Multidepot Configuration is free only the dynamic depot selection is a paied module.
In approximately one month the Dynamic depot selection will be free to use
My second question is how is the replication from the config server to the depot servers handled? Is it set on a configurable schedule? I ask because our branch locations run on a T1 and if the replication fires off during business hours it could bring the branch location to it knees. So far this is a great solution just trying to work out the basics while I work through the documentation.
You can install the Packages via opsi-procutupdater. You can use it via comandline or you shedule a cronjob on your remote depot. (Pull method)
An other way is to install the packages on your depotservers via opsi-packagemanager. This tool installs your package direktly on one or more depotservers. (Push method)
djm79

Re: Opsi Questions

Beitrag von djm79 »

Thanks for the for the information I will continue through the documentation and post back any questions I have.
Antworten