PXE-32: TFTP open timeout

Antworten
Geonon

PXE-32: TFTP open timeout

Beitrag von Geonon »

I'm running OPSI on Ubuntu 12.04, I ran through the getting started guide available from the opsi website. Everything appears to be working correctly expect the tftp agent. When attempting a network boot I get the error "PXE-32: TFTP open timeout". I've searched through the forums here, and through Google. I haven't been able to find anything to resolve this issue. The atftpd service appears to be running, all directories are available (tftpboot) and have the correct permissions.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, I've looked at the opsi config over and over I am not finding it. If anyone out there would like to help me find out where I went wrong in this configuration I would greatly appreciate it.
d.oertel
uib-Team

Re: PXE-32: TFTP open timeout

Beitrag von d.oertel »

Hi,

there are two possibilities:
1. your client do not ask the opsi server (because the dhcp answer isn't correct)
2. There is any problem on your server.

To check this:
a) look for atftpd entries in your /var/log/syslog
b) try:
tcpdump port tftp

If this command do not show any traffic from your client - your client do not ask your server (or there is a firewall between)

regards

d.oertel
opsi support - uib gmbh

For productive opsi installations we recommend support contracts.
http://www.uib.de
http://www.opsi.org
Geonon

Beitrag von Geonon »

The log file at var/log/syslog appears to be empty.

The results from the tcp dump are the following

listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 65535 bytes
09:45:39.910904 IP 192.168.1.110.2070 > lts-linux.lts.office.tftp: 33 RRQ "linux/pxelinux.0" octet tsize 0
09:45:41.937195 IP 192.168.1.110.2071 > lts-linux.lts.office.tftp: 33 RRQ "linux/pxelinux.0" octet tsize 0
09:45:45.946210 IP 192.168.1.110.2072 > lts-linux.lts.office.tftp: 33 RRQ "linux/pxelinux.0" octet tsize 0
09:45:51.932289 IP 192.168.1.110.2073 > lts-linux.lts.office.tftp: 33 RRQ "linux/pxelinux.0" octet tsize 0
09:45:59.895418 IP 192.168.1.110.2074 > lts-linux.lts.office.tftp: 33 RRQ "linux/pxelinux.0" octet tsize 0
09:46:09.838922 IP 192.168.1.110.2075 > lts-linux.lts.office.tftp: 38 RRQ "linux/pxelinux.0" octet blksize 1456
09:46:45.861989 IP 192.168.1.110.2076 > lts-linux.lts.office.tftp: 38 RRQ "linux/pxelinux.0" octet blksize 1456
09:47:57.859993 IP 192.168.1.110.2077 > lts-linux.lts.office.tftp: 38 RRQ "linux/pxelinux.0" octet blksize 1456
09:49:45.829706 IP 192.168.1.110.2078 > lts-linux.lts.office.tftp: 38 RRQ "linux/pxelinux.0" octet blksize 1456
09:52:09.771105 IP 192.168.1.110.2079 > lts-linux.lts.office.tftp: 38 RRQ "linux/pxelinux.0" octet blksize 1456
^C
10 packets captured
10 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

I partially understand the output, I'm not sure what I should be looking for after "lts-linux.lts.office.tftp:" on each line.

One line that did stand out to me was towards the top, it list "link-type EN10MB". Is this a problem?

I ran "dmesg | grep -i duplex" and it shows that I'm at 100Mbps full duplex.

I cancelled the TCP dump because at that point the client computer had moved on the next boot device.
d.oertel
uib-Team

Beitrag von d.oertel »

Hi,

ok - dhcp seems to fine and the problem is at the server:

Is the opsi-atftpd installed ?

Code: Alles auswählen

dpkg -l | grep opsi
Is the openbsd-inetd installed ?

dpkg -l | grep inetd
Is the tftpd configured in the /etc/inetd.conf ?
Does the inted running ?

regards

d.oertel
opsi support - uib gmbh

Geonon

Beitrag von Geonon »

All the necessary programs appear to be installed. The tftpd configuration file appears to be set to default. Everything is commented out. Do I simply need to uncomment the boot server option? Looking at the file it doesn't seem that simple.

Using the "service inetd status" command, it shows the service is unrecognized. I'm guessing that's where my problem is. Is this simply because of the unconfigured tftpd file?
d.oertel
uib-Team

Beitrag von d.oertel »

Hi,

try a

dpkg-reconfigure opsi-atftp
and then check if your ined.conf has a valid configuration.....

regards

d.oertel
opsi support - uib gmbh

Geonon

Beitrag von Geonon »

When attempting to run "dpkg-reconfigure opsi-atftp" I was given an error message saying that the service wasn't installed. I had to clear out the old files in /boot in order to get it installed. Maybe I missed this error when running through the guide. Once installed I didn't see any changes to inetd.conf, so I ran the reconfigure command. It ran but I still didn't see any changes to the file.

I ran "dpkg -l | grep opsi" to look at the packages again, and I noticed I have opsi-atftp and opsi-atftpd installed. I ran reconfigure on the atftpd package, and was given a short setup wizard to go through. After which I am no longer getting the tftp timeouts.

The only issue I've noticed now is that everything is in German when booting to the opsi server. Is there an easy way to change this to English? And do I need both the atftp and atftpd packages?
d.oertel
uib-Team

Beitrag von d.oertel »

Hi,
that everything is in German when booting to the opsi server
Could you give some more details please.
Normally for everything English is the fallback language.

regards
d.oertel
opsi support - uib gmbh

ueluekmen
uib-Team

Beitrag von ueluekmen »

Hi,
Geonon hat geschrieben:And do I need both the atftp and atftpd packages?
No, you need only the opsi-atftpd package. The opsi-atftp package is generated by the same source-package, that's why it's available on our Repositories. You need the opsi-atftp (client), when you want to test your PXE-Server, or when you need to communicate with an external TFTP-Server.
Geonon hat geschrieben:everything is in German when booting to the opsi server
please execute the following command and post the result:

locale
opsi support - uib gmbh
Geonon

Beitrag von Geonon »

@d.oertel

When PXE booting, if you choose to load the opsi client instead of booting to the local hdd. Any opsi menu that then appears is in German. So when selecting the run a hardware inventory, or to image a machine, all the menus are in German. It even appears as if it's a German Windows install that it wishes to launch, when you select one of the Operating System options. The webGUI is in English, I haven't noticed the language being anything but English except when PXE booting. I have downloaded the client CD, and used that to boot to the opsi server. When using the CD to boot, all the opsi menus are in English, but when I select one of the Operating System options it list German (Deutsch). It doesn't list this on the main selection screen, just after the selection of the Operating System has been made. (At least as I recall, I will verify all this once I'm in the shop today.)

I hope I explained that correctly. Just to reiterate when using the CD to boot, all the menus and options are in English. It's just that after selecting an Operating System, on the next screen that pops up, it list the OS I selected. The word Deutsch is listed after the OS name. I assume this means it is going to install Windows with German being the installation language and locality setting.

@ueluekmen

In that case I will remove the opsi-atftp package, it doesn't appear that I will be needing it at this time.

The requested results of the command "locale" are as follows -

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"