Windows Installation connection error

tskeren

Windows Installation connection error

Beitrag von tskeren »

I have built the opsi server.
I have properly built the installs for Win7x64 and W2K8R2.
A new machine properly boots via PXE.

Connect with self created admin user/password, new machine is listed in opsi.

Select 2008r2 to install.

System configuration and file copy executes.

Machine reboots, windows install starts, then during cmd, a failure occurs

"error 86 the network password is not correct."

and it loops.

I assume this is a password problem to map a samba share. I assume it is an attempt to mount \\smb-name\opt_pcbin.

I have no problems mounting \\smb-share\opt_pcbin from Windows or FreeBSD (using mnt_smbfs) and user pcpatch.

I have configured

opsi-admin -d task setPcpatchPassword

The OS for OPSI is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
uncle_scrooge

Re: Windows Installation connection error

Beitrag von uncle_scrooge »

Assuming that you didn't change the property winpenetworkboot from true to false, there is no need for the windows installer to connect to any network share during install.
I suspect some configuration error inside your unattend.xml.
Please, double check that the values here are the same:
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<UserAccounts>
<AdministratorPassword>
<PlainText>true</PlainText>
<Value>SPARROWISTHEPASSWORD</Value>
</AdministratorPassword>

and

<AutoLogon>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<LogonCount>1</LogonCount>
<Username>Administrator</Username>
<Password>
<PlainText>true</PlainText>
<Value>SPARROWISTHEPASSWORD</Value>
</Password>
</AutoLogon>

Both settings are below 'OOBESYSTEM SETTINGS'
tskeren

Beitrag von tskeren »

Well, I have looked at unattended.xml and changed the password to something other than nt123. Everything else seems in order.

Now, examining that I see this:

</AutoLogon>
<FirstLogonCommands>
<SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
<Description>Opsi tasks</Description>
<Order>1</Order>
<CommandLine>cmd.exe /c #@winpe_partition_letter*#:\opsi\postinst.cmd</CommandLine>
</SynchronousCommand>
</FirstLogonCommands>

It is during the running of the command "startnet.cmd" that the error86 occurs in the command window (DOS window).

Will try investigating that...
uncle_scrooge

Thanks for the clarification.
So you are still in WinPE mode, when you receive the error.
Startnet.cmd and the real McCoy work.cmd are build on the fly by the OPSI installer.
After you get the error, please post both files here (they should be on drive x:).
And/or edit work.cmd (remove the @echo off thing) and start startnet.cmd manually to check where exactly the batch errors out.
tskeren

Beitrag von tskeren »

"And/or edit work.cmd (remove the @echo off thing) and start startnet.cmd manually to check where exactly the batch errors out."

edit doesn't work in x64. Not sure how to edit OUT something from the command line these days.

Anyhow, it seems that the error is in the net use command from work.cmd

net use /user:<smbservername>\pcpatch o: \\<smbservername<\opsi_depot "passwd"

The password is correct, however, the command errors 86. Now, if I manually enter

net use /user:pcpatch o: \\<smbservername<\opsi_depot "passwd"

the share mounts as it should.

So, for testing, any help on editing work.cmd from the terminal would be appreciated.

To keep this from happening further, what script needs to be edited so that <smbservername> is NOT inserted in front of pcpatch?
uncle_scrooge

So, for testing, any help on editing work.cmd from the terminal would be appreciated.
Notepad is your friend. Just run notepad <file.name>.
Anyhow, it seems that the error is in the net use command from work.cmd

net use /user:<smbservername>\pcpatch o: \\<smbservername<\opsi_depot "passwd"
Just to be sure: Shows the file <smbservername> or the real name of your OPSI server?

To keep this from happening further, what script needs to be edited so that <smbservername> is NOT inserted in front of pcpatch?
You can edit /var/lib/opsi/depot/<name of your netboot product>/setup.py
Find
print >> f, "net use /user:%s\\pcpatch o: \\\\%s\\%s %s\r" % (hn, hn, sn, pcpatchPassword)
and change it to
print >> f, "net use /user:pcpatch o: \\\\%s\\%s %s\r" % (hn, hn, sn, pcpatchPassword)

But I do not recommend this.
I am installing 2008R2 without a fuss. So narrowing down what happens in your environment would be, imho, the better approach.

What happens if you create a new machine directly in the OPSI config editor, add the 2008R2 netboot product, and restart the 'client'?
It should boot into PXE and start the installation without any user intervention (maybe asking 'Are you sure to install..').
Does it error out either?
tskeren

Beitrag von tskeren »

OK.

So I copied the file work.cmd to the opsi server on the manually mounted share edited it and copied it back to c:\opsi\work.cmd. Then executed x:\windows\system32\startnet.cmd and the network error was gone, but not much else happened.

I think it best to change the "on the fly" creation of these files so that the net use command does not include <smbservername>\pcpatch and just uses pcpatch. If you could direct me to the file that does this, I would appreciate it.
tskeren

Beitrag von tskeren »

"Just to be sure: Shows the file <smbservername> or the real name of your OPSI server?"

Actual name of server. The \\server\mount string is correct.

I didn't even think to type notepad <filename>.
tskeren

Beitrag von tskeren »

"So narrowing down what happens in your environment would be, imho, the better approach."

That's a good question, and I have been having some difficulty with samba on the opsi machine. This is likely due to the opsi machine being on a different subnet than other machines. I have WINS set up to handle netbios calls...

May have to check with the samba lists on version 3.4.7.
tskeren

Beitrag von tskeren »

Editing setup.py causes an error at PXE boot during file copy, something to the effect "not all scripts completed". I'm guessing that there's a paranoia check sum on setup.py.
Antworten