Recorded Installation Framework

Antworten
tiberius

Recorded Installation Framework

Beitrag von tiberius »

Dear Folks again,

Is there a Recorded Installation tool or framework (eg. sandboxed ) out there which I was not able to discover with common search engines strategies ?
I mean, wouldn't it be great if there is a framework which is able to record installations with settings, dependencies, etc. till a certain point with export caps. to *msi files or whatever. No fishing for silent switches, No setup detector, etc. etc.
Maybe a new opsi module !?
ueluekmen
uib-Team

Re: Recorded Installation Framework

Beitrag von ueluekmen »

Hi,

you have more then one tool, that try to do something you describe. AutoIT for example have an built in recorder. But this methods have some problems. One problem of doing things on this way is that you record your installation on a "clean" system. If you rollout this software in your environment you have no "clean" situation. Everything that happend, that you don't have seen in your recordingphase, perhaps with software that will collidate with your installation which is installed on the target client, will be crash your installation. The second thing is, that you have msi or something and have to deploy it also in any way to the client. I see no benefit to build this again.

But you can automate the building of opsi-packages, that will be more interessting. I don't know, but perhaps this is what you want.

You can also use our module opsi-wim-capture to capture a special client with also manual installed software to deploy new clients with the captured image.
opsi support - uib gmbh
For productive opsi installations we recommend support contracts.
http://www.uib.de
ritsovih

Re: Recorded Installation Framework

Beitrag von ritsovih »

you'll find more info when you search for repackaging, which normally snapshots the system before and after an installation, the end-result is usually exported as a msi file

for a freeware repackager: http://www.itninja.com/community/dell-k ... repackager

Note that this approach can lead to all sort of problems , some of which ueluekmen already mentioned, and is in most cases the wrong solution. I only tend to use repackaging when dealing with particularly retarded installers, for which I cannot create silent install scripts in any other way.
Antworten