Satellite depots or multiple master depots ?

Antworten
adrian.popovici

Satellite depots or multiple master depots ?

Beitrag von adrian.popovici »

Hello world!

I'm asking this here as I couldn't find an answer to my dilemma in the OPSI manual or on Google.

What are the benefits of having a satellite depot on a remote location over having a normal master depot there?

The context is: we have the main office where we have an OPSI server which is also depot. We have also another remote location (other contry, other continent) where we have another OPSI server which is also depot. However, the users in both location are part of the same domain, use the same software. Both are managed via the same config editor.

What would be better? Keeping them as they are or making that OPSI depot a satellite of the main one. If both are kept as separate depots, I can assign users to one or the other. However, if I modify the remote depot and set it up as a slave to the main depot, I can no longer assign users that are located there to that depot, or at least I didn't find out how.

Would the opsi client somehow automagically (maybe based on IP) to get the software packages from the satellite or from the main depot based on user's location or do I need to set it up somewhere (considering that sometimes users move temporarily from one location to the other).

Best regards,
Adrian
*** Ich funktioniere nur dank Koffein, Sarkasmus und unangemessenen Gedanken ***
n.wenselowski
Ex-uib-Team

Re: Satellite depots or multiple master depots ?

Beitrag von n.wenselowski »

Hi Adrian,

having a sattelite allows you to manage both locations from one management interface (without the need to logging in another time).
In addition to that you can easily share products between the servers through opsi-package-updater, make use of dynamic depot selection of your clients (important if users travel between locations).
adrian.popovici hat geschrieben:What would be better? Keeping them as they are or making that OPSI depot a satellite of the main one. If both are kept as separate depots, I can assign users to one or the other. However, if I modify the remote depot and set it up as a slave to the main depot, I can no longer assign users that are located there to that depot, or at least I didn't find out how.
Please check that the depot you registered is setup as a master depot. Configuring a depot to not be a master does remove the possibility to manually assign a client to a depot.
You also need to be aware that once you register a depot clients that may exist at this server will be lost. If you already have setup your second location to include some clients you want to add them to your main depot.

Once you have more than one depot opsi-configed will show you a context menu entry in the client listing that allows you to assign a client to another depot.
adrian.popovici hat geschrieben:Would the opsi client somehow automagically (maybe based on IP) to get the software packages from the satellite or from the main depot based on user's location or do I need to set it up somewhere (considering that sometimes users move temporarily from one location to the other).
Automatic selection of the depot is possible. You can find more information about this in the chapter about dynamic depot selection in the manual.

Kind regards

Niko

Code: Alles auswählen

import OPSI
adrian.popovici

Beitrag von adrian.popovici »

Hi,

I would have an additional question / issue related to this topic, something I've noticed only recently.

Configuring the satellite depot worked like a charm. However, on the satellite location we have a bunch of clients with Virtual Box software installed.
That software creates an additional Network Adapter with an IP address in the 169.254.x.x range which is used by the vm(s). When I push packages to those PCs I see that this IP is being used in the algorithm to select the closest depot and because it is a private IP no depot fits and it failbacks to the main one.

[code]
[5] [Apr 11 18:38:30] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] MasterOnly --> 'False' (Config.pyo|393)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:32] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Dynamic depot selection enabled (Config.pyo|445)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:35] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Master depot for products [u'7zip'] is opsi.main (Config.pyo|473)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:35] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Got alternative depots for products: [u'7zip'] (Config.pyo|477)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:35] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] 1. alternative depot is opsi-depot.satellite (Config.pyo|479)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:35] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Found network interface: <OPSI.System.Windows.IP_ADAPTER_INFO object at 0x02574A80> (Config.pyo|488)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:35] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Found network interface: <OPSI.System.Windows.IP_ADAPTER_INFO object at 0x02574990> (Config.pyo|488)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:35] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Found network interface: <OPSI.System.Windows.IP_ADAPTER_INFO object at 0x02574A80> (Config.pyo|488)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:35] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Found network interface: <OPSI.System.Windows.IP_ADAPTER_INFO object at 0x02574990> (Config.pyo|488)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:36] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Found network interface: <OPSI.System.Windows.IP_ADAPTER_INFO object at 0x02574A80> (Config.pyo|488)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:36] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Found network interface: <OPSI.System.Windows.IP_ADAPTER_INFO object at 0x02574990> (Config.pyo|488)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:36] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Found network interface: <OPSI.System.Windows.IP_ADAPTER_INFO object at 0x02574A80> (Config.pyo|488)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:36] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Found network interface: <OPSI.System.Windows.IP_ADAPTER_INFO object at 0x02574990> (Config.pyo|488)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:36] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Choosing depot from list of depots: (<string>|4)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:36] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Master depot: <OpsiConfigserver(id=u'opsi.main', isMasterDepot=True)> (<string>|5)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:36] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Alternative depot: <OpsiDepotserver(id=u'opsi-depot.satellite', masterDepotId=u'opsi.main')> (<string>|7)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:36] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] IP 169.254.82.98 does not match networkAddress x.y.z.0/255.255.252.0 of depot <OpsiConfigserver(id=u'opsi.main', isMasterDepot=True)> (<string>|28)
[6] [Apr 11 18:38:36] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] IP 169.254.82.98 does not match networkAddress a.b.c.0/255.255.255.0 of depot <OpsiDepotserver(id=u'opsi-depot.satellite', masterDepotId=u'opsi.main')> (<string>|28)
[5] [Apr 11 18:38:36] [ event processing on_demand{user_logged_in}] Selected depot is: <OpsiConfigserver(id=u'opsi.main', isMasterDepot=True)> (Config.pyo|517)
[/code]

A workaround I'm implementing now is to disable that adapter created by Virtual Box and re-enable it after packages are installed, but is there a way to tell the client what IP address / Network Card to use for performing this evaluation of which depot is closest?
*** Ich funktioniere nur dank Koffein, Sarkasmus und unangemessenen Gedanken ***
SisterOfMercy

Beitrag von SisterOfMercy »

If you don't need the network adapter you can install virtualbox without:

[Winbatch_install_NT6_64]
"%SystemRoot%\system32\msiexec.exe" /qb! /l*v "$LogDir$\$ProductId$-setup.log" /package "$LogDir$\$ProductId$\VirtualBox-x64.msi" REBOOT=ReallySuppress VBOX_INSTALLQUICKLAUNCHSHORTCUT=0 VBOX_REGISTERFILEEXTENSIONS=0 VBOX_STARTVBOX=0 ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=VBoxPython,VBoxNetworkAdp
Bitte schreiben Sie Deutsch, when I'm responding in the German-speaking part of the forum!
n.wenselowski
Ex-uib-Team

Beitrag von n.wenselowski »

Hi,

opsi uses the first available working network interface so there isn't anything you can do there.
But you could alter the used selectDepot function and add some special handling for these networks.

Kind regards

Niko

import OPSI
Antworten