[SOLVED] tftpboot and AMD Ryzen

Antworten
Gabriele

[SOLVED] tftpboot and AMD Ryzen

Beitrag von Gabriele »

Hello,

recently we bought a Lenovo 20MU000CGE laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 2500U processor to evaluate the possibility of using it instead of Intel systems.

The laptop works well with both windows 10 and kubuntu 18.04.1 (need to add the boot options "noacpi” and “nomodeset" on kernel boot) if installed manually and we are satisfied with the performance, but has problems with installation via netboot using the OPSI server.

I follow this step (for intel systems work correctly):
- disabled the secure boot and set the legacy boot in the UEFI BIOS
- booting via PXE is successful and shows the elilo(?) boot screen of the OPSI server
- select the line and start the boot
- "loading install" completed correctly
- here the problem: “loading miniroot-x64.bz2" starts and shows about two lines of dots then returns to the elilo(?) boot screen of the OPSI server (does not get the message "ready" and not start the image)

I tried to modify in various ways the file "/tftpboot/linux/pxelinux.cfg/default.menu" to see if it changed anything but without finding a solution and not see any error on screen.

I think the problem is the "miniroot" image but I'm not sure, any help are welcome because I have no other ideas.

This is the "default.menu" file:

Code: Alles auswählen

default menu.c32
timeout 100
prompt 0
noescape 1

menu title tonelico boot menu
menu width 56
menu rows 4
menu helpmsgrow 10
menu timeoutrow 15
menu tabmsgrow -1
menu hshift 14
menu vshift 9

menu color tabmsg       30;40      #00000000 #00000000 std

label hd
  menu label Boot from ^local drive
  text help
                 Boot operating system from local drive.
  endtext
  localboot 0

label install
  menu label Start ^bootimage (x86)
  text help
                  Start linux bootimage 32-Bit from tftp server.
  endtext
  kernel install
  append initrd=miniroot.bz2 video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=791 quiet splash --no-log lang=en console=tty1 console=ttyS0 service=https://tonelico.intranet.domain.local:4447/rpc

label install-x64
  menu label Start bootimage (^amd64)
  text help
                  Start linux bootimage 64-Bit from tftp server.
  endtext
  kernel install-x64
  append initrd=miniroot-x64.bz2 video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=791 quiet splash --no-log console=tty1 console=ttyS0 lang=en service=https://tonelico.intranet.domain.local:4447/rpc

label install-emercency
  menu label Alternative linux ^option
  text help
                  Start minimal linux bootimage.
  endtext
  kernel install
  append initrd=miniroot.bz2 lowram vga=normal lang=en console=tty1 console=ttyS0 service=https://tonelico.intranet.domain.local:4447/rpc

gvadmin@tonelico:~$ ls -lha /tftpboot/linux/
total 220M
drwxrwxr-x 3 opsiconfd pcpatch 4.0K Sep 20 10:43 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root      root    4.0K Aug  9  2017 ..
-rw-rw-r-- 1 opsiconfd pcpatch  13K Sep 13 13:35 chain.c32
lrwxrwxrwx 1 opsiconfd pcpatch   15 Sep 13 13:35 install -> vmlinuz-4.17.13
lrwxrwxrwx 1 opsiconfd pcpatch   11 Sep 13 13:35 install64 -> install-x64
lrwxrwxrwx 1 opsiconfd pcpatch   19 Sep 13 13:35 install-x64 -> vmlinuz-x64-4.17.13
-rw-rw-r-- 1 opsiconfd pcpatch 147K Aug 23  2013 memtest86+-5.01
-rw-rw-r-- 1 opsiconfd pcpatch  52K Sep 13 13:35 menu.c32
-rw-rw-r-- 1 opsiconfd pcpatch 101M Sep 13 13:35 miniroot-20180813.bz2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 opsiconfd pcpatch   21 Sep 13 13:35 miniroot.bz2 -> miniroot-20180813.bz2
-rw-rw-r-- 1 opsiconfd pcpatch 104M Sep 13 13:35 miniroot-x64-20180813.bz2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 opsiconfd pcpatch   25 Sep 13 13:35 miniroot-x64.bz2 -> miniroot-x64-20180813.bz2
-rw-rw-r-- 1 opsiconfd pcpatch  16K Sep 13 13:35 pxelinux.0
drwxrwxr-x 2 opsiconfd pcpatch 4.0K Oct  2 15:05 pxelinux.cfg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 opsiconfd pcpatch 7.5M Sep 13 13:35 vmlinuz-4.17.13
-rw-rw-r-- 1 opsiconfd pcpatch 7.8M Sep 13 13:35 vmlinuz-x64-4.17.13
Zuletzt geändert von Gabriele am 12 Okt 2018, 11:10, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
m.radtke
uib-Team

Re: tftpboot and AMD Ryzen

Beitrag von m.radtke »

Hi
the bootimage in UEFI works diferent than on MBR mode
in MBR mode we have a menu, where you can edit things like you did.
In UEFI mode this is not possible.
Hereby when a netboot product is set to setup and the first UEFI boot device is Ethernet, the bootimage is loaded. The bootimage changes the UEFI boot order to either boot a WINPE, in case you install a windows, or the installed Linux.

So in order to boot your client in UEFI mode, you have to set your ethernet Device as boot device #1 in the UEFI. In Addition oyu have to set the 'Uefi Boot' option in opsi and set a product on setup, then the bootimage should boot fine.

Cheers
Mathias
Kein Support per DM!

Beitrag von Gabriele »

Hello Mathias,
thanks for the answer, I write to info(at)uib.de and ask to have a trial "etc/opsi/modules" file with the support of the UEFI boot that at the moment we do not have and until now we have always used the legacy mode without problems.

I let you know if it resolves.
Gabriele

Beitrag von Gabriele »

Hi
last Tuesday I received the trial license and verified that using the UEFI mode of the PXE the problem don’t show up, so this is a possible solution.

However, colleagues and I prefer to manage the installation directly from the client PC instead of having to create it by hand in the backend, entering the MAC address... then I invest more times to understand the problem with the legacy mode and finaly I managed to generate an error message related to the amount of RAM available.
So I also fixed it in legacy mode by specifying in the boot options of the miniroot the amount of RAM it should use.

append initrd=miniroot.bz2 mem=2048M ...
SisterOfMercy

Beitrag von SisterOfMercy »

Gabriele hat geschrieben:However, colleagues and I prefer to manage the installation directly from the client PC instead of having to create it by hand in the backend, entering the MAC address.
That doesn't sound like it's working like it should.

Wait, you mean you can't register new clients on the client itself via the boot menu (in UEFI mode)?
Bitte schreiben Sie Deutsch, when I'm responding in the German-speaking part of the forum!
n.wenselowski
Ex-uib-Team

Re: [SOLVED] tftpboot and AMD Ryzen

Beitrag von n.wenselowski »

Hi,

there isn't a default menu present in UEFI netboot. While UEFI netboot appears to be the same as PXE it certainly is not.
To have clients boot into the bootimage you'd have to set a netboot product for a client to setup.

What you could do is use an USB stick prepared with the ISO of the bootimage to boot from on a client.

Cheers

Niko

import OPSI
Antworten