ms-sys version in bootimage

Antworten
SisterOfMercy

ms-sys version in bootimage

Beitrag von SisterOfMercy »

Is it possible to upgrade the version of ms-sys in the bootimage to version 2.3.0?
Currently it is at version 2.1.3, with the newest bootimage.
Bitte schreiben Sie Deutsch, when I'm responding in the German-speaking part of the forum!
ueluekmen
uib-Team

Re: ms-sys version in bootimage

Beitrag von ueluekmen »

Hi,

yes, we plan a big upgrade from opsi-linux-bootimage. The base OS will be upgraded to precise. In fact of this upgrade, we will check all components from opsi-linux-bootimage for newer versions. But this is not a trivial task. It's planed as parallel development. We will begin this task after cebit.

The ms-sys version is not so easy. We have tried to upgrade only this program in bootimage, but the newer version have other parameters. And one parameter we need is not available in the newer version of ms-sys. So it could be, that changing only the bootimage is not enogh, to switch to the newer version.

Now you have three options:
1.) Wait until the upgrade work is done.
2.) You open a support-Ticket, if you have a support contract.
3.) You describe a little bit more, why you need the newer version of ms-sys. Perhaps we can find a another solution for your problem.

regards
e. ueluekmen
opsi support - uib gmbh
For productive opsi installations we recommend support contracts.
http://www.uib.de
SisterOfMercy

Beitrag von SisterOfMercy »

Well, I was trying to make a ntfs partition, because a friend asked me to install his computer with 64k clusters.
Converting from fat32 could also work, 16k clusters is also good enough. I can't find out how to set the clusters with fat32, but I can with mkntfs. Then I can also easily set --no-indexing.

I could also try to adapt the setup.py so it will not delete any partitions. Oh well.. It's a lot of trouble for wanting to impress someone with how easy this is.
Bitte schreiben Sie Deutsch, when I'm responding in the German-speaking part of the forum!
Martin von Wittich

Beitrag von Martin von Wittich »

ueluekmen hat geschrieben: The ms-sys version is not so easy. We have tried to upgrade only this program in bootimage, but the newer version have other parameters. And one parameter we need is not available in the newer version of ms-sys. So it could be, that changing only the bootimage is not enogh, to switch to the newer version.
This is something that I'm currently struggling with. We're trying to update ms-sys in our own bootimage to ms-sys 2.2.1; this is necessary because only more recent ms-sys versions have the -H parameter to specify the number of hard disk heads. We want to specify a fixed number of 240 heads because ms-sys will default to 255 heads when used with more recent kernels (3.2.1 is not affected, but 3.5.0 and everything above is), and some computers (notably many ThinkPad models) won't boot Windows XP when the volume boot record specifies 255 heads (they instead show the error message "NTLDR is missing").

But ms-sys 2.2.1 doesn't have the --fat32nt60 parameter that the bootimage is using to install Windows 7 so updating it will fix Windows XP installations but break Windows 7 installations. What's especially strange about this is that ms-sys apparently never had this parameter in the first place - I've looked through the revision history ( http://ms-sys.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewv ... c?view=log ) and I can't find it anywhere. Is it possible that opsi is using a custom fork of ms-sys?
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Martin v. Wittich

IServ GmbH
Bültenweg 73
38106 Braunschweig

Telefon: 0531-2243666-0
Fax: 0531-2243666-9
E-Mail: info@iserv.eu
Internet: iserv.eu
d.oertel
uib-Team

Beitrag von d.oertel »

Hi,

didn't you planned to buy a support contract ?

regards
d.oertel
opsi support - uib gmbh

For productive opsi installations we recommend support contracts.
http://www.uib.de
http://www.opsi.org
Antworten